For years, I have been cooking up the theory that everyone sings Bob Dylan better than Bob Dylan. Now I know a lot of people are going to disagree (my guitar teacher included), but I don’t care. He’s written a lot of great songs but that doesn’t mean he knows how to sing them.
Without any thought, this is the list of amazing Dylan covers that completely kick the ass of his original recordings:
- All Along the Watchtower (Jimi Hendrix)
- Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door (Guns N’ Roses & Eric Clapton)
- One More Cup of Coffee (The White Stripes)
- Maggie’s Farm (Rage Against the Machine)
- It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue (Van Morrisson) (OK… Van sings better than just about everyone)
- Blowin’ in the Wind (Peter, Paul, & Mary)
- Highway 61 Revisited (Johnny Winter)
- Lay, Lady, Lay (Buddy Guy)
I’m sure there are more.
Maybe I’m being too harsh, but I don’t feel it when he’s singing.