For many of you, any Beatles set list was going to be satisfying, but I am not the biggest Beatles fan. That’s not to say I don’t appreciate them for their historical importance, influence, and even a lot of their music, but they have never ranked among my favorites.
That being said, I am a big fan of George Harrison.
So, onto the set list. The complete list of tracks is available at GameSpy.
The high points for me are:
- While My Guitar Gently Weeps – Ranks among my favorite songs ever. The song is written by Harrison, but the extensive solo work is Eric Clapton (w00t!). It will be years before I can actually play the solo, but I’ve got the rhythm guitar down.
- Here Comes the Sun – This song is just incredible.
- Taxman – Another Harrison classic.
- Helter Skelter – This song still feels so uncharacteristically edgy and aggressive to me.
- I Want You (She’s So Heavy)
- Octopus’s Garden – The SCUBA diver in me has a soft spot for this song.
There are a number of other interesting tunes on the list, but those are the ones that excite me at first glance.
The presence of While My Guitar Gently Weeps and Here Comes the Sun really sell me on the game. Who knows, maybe this game will increase my appreciation of the Beatles. It wouldn’t be the first time that a music game has made me see brilliance in music that I had previously ignored (See Dinosaur Jr. & the Killers).
The Beatles: Rock Band is due out on September 9.